Sunday, June 8, 2014

The "Gushy" Love Post You Knew Was Coming

     I chose the title of this post to forewarn you that I may get a little too lovey-dovey at times while talking about my relationship with Josh.  However, let me first start off by saying that I'm the girl that used to roll her eyes at couples who constantly posted pictures of themselves together and constantly talked about each other.  When I began dating Josh, I was no longer that girl.  I became the girl that was proud of her amazing boyfriend and wanted to incessantly talk about him.  However, as much as I love Josh, I'm still considerate of my friends and family and know not to irritate them by rambling on about how much I just love him.  I could talk all day and night about him, but I know better.

     That being said, I don't think it's healthy to hide your feelings for your significant other.  If I could shout to the world how much I love Josh, I would do it in a heartbeat.  This is probably why the following quote by John Lennon is so powerful to me:

"We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight."

     I find it sad how talking about your love for someone often leads to criticism, particularly in the case of young adults like myself.  What's so wrong with being open about your feelings?  Why is it taboo for young people to honestly and tactfully express their love for their significant other?

     "Oh, that's just puppy love!" some say.
 
     "It won't last," others insist.

     Well with that defeatist attitude it probably won't.  Older adults can criticize all they want, but can they really insist that real, honest-to-God love doesn't exist for young couples?  Is that really fair?  They can poke fun at young lovers , but can anyone really say whether it will or won't last?  While it is true that there are older couples who are far mature than us, I would go so far as to say that Josh and I are more mature in our dating relationship than many couples are in their marriage.  Sadly, I've met plenty of married adults who, at times, can be just as immature as some of my college friends.

     I'll admit that Josh and I have been through things that could cripple the average marriage.  Yet, we've made it through and come out stronger.  We've come out stronger as individuals and stronger in our relationship.  In fact, in the nine months that we've dated, we've grown so much closer to each other and to Christ in just this last month.  If that's not powerful, enduring love, I don't know what is.  The various things we've gone through in the past may have been extremely painful and taxing on our relationship, but one thing has always remained constant: our devotion to one another.

     Had you talked to me several months ago, I would have told you that I love Josh and knew something was special about him.  Talk to me today, and you'll get a much different answer.  I'll not just tell you that I love Josh, I'll actually explain the reasons why.  And I'll keep explaining until you force me to stop.  That's one of the many differences between then and now.  I knew I loved Josh then, but I couldn't coherently explain why.  I'll never be able to fully explain the deep, unbreakable connection that we have, but today, I can explain why we fell in love and why I still love him with all of my heart.

     It is this unbreakable connection, this beautiful, powerful love that I have for Josh that makes me bold enough to say that he is the one for me.  He is and has always been the one for me.  I may not be able to say that as much as I'd like, but I mean it from the bottom of my heart.  In spite of all my mistakes and all my shortcomings, God has continually poured His grace and blessings upon me, one of those blessings being Josh.  Together, we are overcoming the trials of our youth and working towards a bright future.  We are working towards marriage and are excited for that sacred day.  Yes, we are young.  Yes, we have our whole lives ahead of us.  And yes, we have much to learn.  But we're preparing ourselves for whatever life throws at us.  We may just be "youngsters", but we know what we want, we're willing to work for it, and we're going to do it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment